Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Journal of Mandalas

First – a Journal – a bridge into first our own humanity, and then our own spirituality. The road stretches our before us, and our ultimate task is the journey. …an art form in words. 

Second – a Mandala – a circle art using a variety of mediums through the ages, a universal activity, self-integrating ritual. Healing Mandalas are created as an integrative art form assisting individuals in their search for the inner self. 

I have written in a journal for years to ask myself questions, trying to find answers, ranting and raving for whatever is happening at the moment, saying thank you for all things in my life, jumping for joy because of that little secret.  There are times I am without words and still have questions.  Pictures – visual images is our first language.  Thus to connect with our inner knowledge can be quite an experience in the form of pictures.  Utilizing the circle art of the Mandala is setting the experience in a safe and sacred environment. I have a scrap book (the journal) of my Mandalas.  However, because they are important to me and colorful art I have also framed several of them and have them on display for me to see regularly (and sometimes in special places like my therapy office for others to reflect upon).  Each Mandala has a date and the question posed with the picture – the visual art as the answer.  Sometimes I can translate into words, other times the visual is very much the answer with no words. 

The method I used is based on Judith Cornell’s technique of drawing with a white pencil on black paper creating a sense of light emanating from the paper.  I draw a circle as big as the paper will hold (so how big the circle is depends on the size of the black piece of paper).  Then I think about: what is it that is pertinent at the moment; what am I struggling with; what is unknown mystery I want a glimpse of; what is that elusive feeling I am experiencing connected to – or some other aspect.  I develop the question I want to pose.  I breathe deeply several times, close my eyes, empty my mind and let the picture begin to come to mind.  You note I said begin to come to mind.  For some the picture comes in clear and vivid with all details right off the bat; for others there is a blurry outline, a fuzzy image.  Start the drawing with the white pencil on the black paper within the white lined circle.  The surprise is as you begin to draw the image clarifies and more details come.  You have the basic drawing with shading in white.  Now take a moment of quiet and see it in Technicolor!  Add the colors with various shades to your Mandala.  Take your time or color with a furry.  See your living visual answer in front of you.  Words are not necessary.  Words may come and can be noted on the back of the drawing also.  The visual result is the answer and connects self to Self.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment